October 1st is one of the biggest moving days of the year! Moving can often be a very stressful experience. To help prepare, check out the Apartments.com Moving Checklist.
If you’re moving today, here are some helpful reminders to make sure your move goes smoothly:
- Fill out a change of address form with the post office.
- Arrange for newspaper and magazine subscriptions to be transferred or cancelled.
- Transfer or cancel all your utilities, including gas, water, electricity, garbage pick-up, telephone, cable and Internet services.
- Have your credit cards and/or bank statements transferred to your new address.
- Confirm the time you will be able to pick up your keys to your new apartment.
- Return your old set of keys and leave a forwarding address for your security deposit.
- Before you’re on your way, do a final check of closets and drawers and take out any garbage.
Once the hard part is done, you can start putting your new pad together. Check out these helpful tips to help you settle in after your move:
- Unpack one box at a time. You might feel overwhelmed if you look at all your boxes and think it all has to be done at once. After a few hours of unpacking, relax and enjoy your new space. It might take a week or so to completely unpack and that’s OK!
- Get to know your neighborhood. Take a walk (or a drive) around your new area and explore. Check out the local store and try new restaurants. If you’re feeling adventurous, check out these ways apps can help you explore your new neighborhood.
- Check out transportation. If you take the bus or the train, figure out your new route to work. If you drive, make sure you have the appropriate city permits, learn about street parking or get a pass to your apartment building’s parking garage.
- Establish a routine. Get back into a daily routine that is familiar. Find the closest dry cleaners, grocery store and post office, so running errands won’t be like navigating through a maze.
- Take on a new hobby. If you aren’t sure what to join or do, check out your local stores and newspapers for listings or suggestions. It’s also a great way to meet new people!
Share your best moving tips in the comments below!