Organize and time your move with our Moving Checklist.
One Month Before the Move:
- Make arrangements with movers.
- Make arrangements with rental truck company.
- Arrange for newspaper and magazine subscriptions to be transferred or cancelled.
- Get a quote on renters insurance and consider purchasing a policy to protect yourself and your belongings.
- Be sure to order packing supplies now so you are well prepared to pack.
- Find local storage facilities to store your extra belongings.
- Research schools if you have children. Have each child’s records transferred from the old school.
- Fill out a change of address form with the post office.
Two Weeks Before the Move:
- Transfer or cancel all your utilities, including gas, water, electricity, garbage pick-up, telephone, cable and internet services.
- Confirm the time that you will be able to pick up your keys to your new home and the time the moving truck will arrive.
- Have your credit cards and bank statements transferred to your new address.
- Apply for a new vehicle registration if you are moving out of state.
One Week Before the Move:
- Check with your mover for any specifications regarding packing and confirm your move date.
- Pack your belongings as early as possible, taking inventory and labeling the boxes as you fill them.
- After a room has been packed, clean the room and repair any damage to the walls.
- Take apart large pieces of furniture and have them ready for the mover.
The Day of the Move:
- Have cash available for the mover (many will require cash, at least for tipping).
- Supervise the movers and try to have one person on hand to stay with them as you head over to the new apartment to pick up the keys and be ready when the movers arrive.
- Keep your most important valuables in a separate box that you move yourself.
- The day of the move, return your keys and leave a forwarding address for your security deposit.
- Do a final check of closets and drawers and take out any garbage.