After scouring Craigslist for two months looking for the perfect apartment, ponying up for first, last and deposit, raiding the local supermarket for cardboard boxes, packing, bubble-wrapping, unpacking, venturing to IKEA for a cheap dresser because your old one doesn't fit in the bedroom, changing your address, and waiting three hours for the cable guy, your apartment (and your life) is finally in order. So now what? Well, as Prince would say, "now it's time to party like it's 1999."
Ok, so maybe the Prince quote isn't applicable. A house warming party should be a low key affair, not an end of the world or new millennium style bash. In other words, think backyard barbecue, not the caviar and Moet 76 lavishness of the Kentucky Derby. Moving can be expensive, so Vegas odds makers would bet you're probably short on funds. No worries. Here's a starter's list for hosting an apartment warming party.
1. Send out invitations. No text message invites, no emails-something written by hand. This simple, DIY touch gives a party a glamorous edge. Even if your soiree is fueled by cheap domestic beer or budget Australian wine, and old school invite shows class and creativity.
2. Speaking of beer and wine. Be sure to have non-alcoholic beverages for your guests as well. Rule of thumb also states you have enough booze on hand for everyone to have 2 or 3 drinks. Of course, those rules change depending on the company you keep.
3. Chips, dips and hors d'oeuvres are the way to go. It's an apartment warming party, not a black tie dinner party. Keep it simple, and keep it cheap. While asking people to bring party favors is a bit uncouth, you know one of your friends is going to show up with a family-size bag of tortilla chips.
4. Talk to the neighbors and let them know you're having people over. If you're new to the building, the last thing you want is the neighbor in room #4 beating down your door at 11 p.m. or threatening to call the cops because the music is too loud. If you share a wall, floor or ceiling with a neighbor, tell them about the scheduled bash beforehand. You can even invite them. If they are sipping a cocktail in your living room, they won't be pacing around their apartment, smacking a broom handle against your floor (their ceiling) in the middle of the night in a misguided attempt to get you to turn off the reggae.
5. Make sure the entertainment is entertaining. Games and diversions are essential to a good party. Foosball, darts, karaoke, cards, board games, these are all great party pastimes. You can even break out the X-Box or the Wii console. If it's summer and you have some outdoor space, nothing says a good time like a casual game of horseshoes.
While this starter's list covers the party basics, if you want to make your apartment warming gig epic and memorable, you need to spin it with your own personal touch.
What are your best apartment warming party tips?