Pests in your apartment is something no one wants to deal with. Our friends at Arrow Exterminators put together a handy kitchen pest proofing guide, along with a few interesting pest facts you probably didn't know about.
1. Keep Pests Outside Where They Belong. Fact: Mice can fit through an opening the size of a nickel.
- Thoroughly check items that are common transportation for pests including plants, firewood and even groceries before bringing them inside the home.
- Seal any gaps around exterior doors and ensure they close completely after entry or exit.
- Make sure all windows have screens that are free of holes or tears and are secured properly.
- Ensure any gaps around window frames are properly sealed.
- Store outdoor garbage receptacles away from the home and make sure lids fit securely.
- Seal cracks and crevices around entry points for wiring and pipes with caulk.
2. Don't Provide a Water Source. Fact: Cockroaches can live without food for up to a month.
- Clean up spills immediately.
- Keep sink areas clean and dry after use.
- Clean and dry mops and buckets after each use.
- Repair dripping faucets, clogged drains or plumbing leaks as soon as possible.
3. Don't Provide a Food Source. Fact: Wasps feed on sweet liquids, and some that have been feeding on fermenting juice have been observed, eventually, to pass out.
- Keep food in sealed, air-tight containers.
- Wipe down countertops after use and make sure they stay crumb free.
- Rinse food containers before discarding.
- Clean kitchen appliances after each use.
- Make sure your inside trash receptacle is clean, has a secure fitting cover and place all garbage in sealed plastic bags.
4. Don't Provide an Inviting Home. Fact: Merchant Grain Beetles actually prefer cake mix, cereal, pasta and cookies over grains, as their name would imply.
- Regularly inspect your pantry and cupboards for holes in packaging or walls and insect/rodent droppings.
- Store all paper products including boxes and bags in a dry area, at least six inches off the floor and away from the wall.
- Keep trash and recycling collection areas clean and dry.
- Remove all trash and recycling at least once a week.
Download the checklist now.
This is a guest post from Arrow Exterminators.